Icon Painting Atelier
(Learn to Paint Icons)
The icon in the Bulgarian tradition is not simply an image of a Saint.
The Icon is a substantial part of our tradition, a concentration of
culture, historical heritage and art. It is the perfect expression, the
most immediate of both the religious and the aesthetic feeling proper
to Eastern Christianity.
The Icon is a cult artifact and still – an
art in which sophisticated mystery you can be immersed. In the peace of
the bucolic little museum-towns, amongst icons and religious artifacts,
you will have you lessons in that divine art.
- Getting to know the history and techniques of icon painting
- Completing an icon to bring home
- Visiting different sites of cultural interest in the places where the icon-atelier will be carried out; acquainting with the history and architecture of each house of your accommodation
- If you have chosen the Rhodope village Dolen as the place of the atelier you may visit the village church “St. Nicolas”, the museum and the churches in the town of Gotse Delchev; to visit the monastery “St. George” in Hadjidimovo village.
- If you have chosen Melnik with its fascinating sand pyramids scenery you will enjoy visiting the local churches, the Rozhen monastery and the church in Rupite built according the will of the Para psychic phenomenon Vanga.
- The town of Koprivshtitsa will offer to you all its richness of Revival (18-19 c.) architecture and the masterpieces of some of the most famous icon painters.
In each of these places you will really enjoy the rich Bulgarian icon heritage.
- All of the painting materials necessary will be provided during the atelier
- The instructor is an accomplished icon painter
Initial skill in painting
- Not required
- Number of participants – from 4 to 6 persons
- In double rooms at guest houses which are cultural land marks in the villages of Koprivshtitsa, Melnik, Dolen
- The house in Koprivshtitsa is a cultural landmark from the end of 18th and the beginning of 19th century and is named after the name of its first owner – hadji Valko
- The accommodation in Melnik is at the house with the most beautiful view of the town, also named after the forefather – Lumparova
- The forefather of the family who owned the house in Dolen also gave it his name – hadji Bozhik
- Trips to historical and cultural sites
- Visiting monasteries and churches rich in icon treasures
- Extend the program with 3 days with tailored tours (SPA, monasteries, etc.)
- Hiking, photography, painting, sketching, horse riding, meeting local people
For detailed itinerary
Village of Dolen
- group of 6 participants 953 €
- group of 4 participants 1187 €
Town of Melnik
- group of 6 participants 916 €
- group of 4 participants 1132 €
Town of Koprivshtitsa
- group of 6 participants 879 €
- group of 4 participants 1076 €
Enquiries and Reservation